Saturday, February 13, 2010

Saw III put me at a crossroads...also, who the F is this "Shawnee" character???!

I've been having this ritual that on Friday nights, late at night, when my mind just won't slow down from the insanely horrible week I've just had...

I watch the horror movie that is featured on Syfy (formerly Sci-Fi).

It really doesn't matter what garbage they show, I'm going to watch it-start to finish.

So last night, Saw III was on.



Now, I saw....Saw (the original Saw).
And like...it was alright. I know alot of people like this series, but for me, I just couldn't really get into it.

Don't get me wrong, I love Carey Elwes and Danny Glover. I think they're great. The foot getting sawed off was pretty gruesome too. Maybe I'm just not smart and puzzle-y enough for it? I don't know. It's not that it had problems or anything...I did find the "Jigsaw" guy to be kind of a creeper, but not in a scary way, more in like a "is he a registered sex offender?" kind of way.
Saw III Pictures, Images and Photos
"I have some candy in my car, little girl"

I just wasn't in love. It's not you, it's ME, Saw series.
It wasn't a Jason Voorhees moment for me at all.

So when Saw II came out, I was disinterested and never "Saw" it.

Then VH1 did that show "Scream Queens"...remember that? And the host was some chick I never heard of: Shawnee Smith. And they said she was from the Saw series (gotta be honest, I don't remember her in the first one at all, I had to go back and read the synopsis). I just remember being baffled that they considered here the "scream queen of horror" when I had never really heard of her. Was Jamie Lee Curtis busy when they filmed this?
P.S. here's the clip of the winner, Tanedra, in Saw VI:





Yikes. The arm?!

Anyway, I was fascinated by this Shawnee character and why she was considered the Queen of Horror. I thought that was me?
Why was she given this title? After the show would end though, I'd quickly forget all about it.

Then Saw III came on. And I remembered my quest. Who was this Shawnee character anyway? I had to know. Once and for all.

Well, IMDB.com and Wikipedia.org have some extensive info on this woman. Here are 5 frightening Shawnee facts:

1. She starred in The Blob, Who's Harry Crumb?, and Summer School.

2. She fronted a band called "Fydolla ho", which she founded with Robert Trujillo (Metallica) which sounds like Veruca Salt/Hole kind of?:




3. She is now in a band called "Smith & Pile" which is a country band.:




4. She has 2 kids and is rumored to have a 3rd on the way.

5. She apparently hates horror movies? I think that's a lie. Since she's starred in a whole heap of them.

Ok, so now I feel better knowing about her. But what's her deal in these movies?

So I watched Saw III, and as a general rule with any horror movie, after I've started watching the first 15 minutes, I'm invested. Good or bad, I need to watch the whole thing.

So I did.

I don't know how I feel. Maybe it was because it was so late at night and I just couldn't sleep, but I think I liked it. I definitely didn't hate it. And I couldn't stop watching.

Could I be at a Saw Crossroads?

The Pig Vat scene made me almost dry heave...and the Twisting Rack was pretty hard to watch...I think the PG version is more fun to watch.

I do think that because I skipped Saw II, I missed out on the flashbacks, because I had no idea who some of those people were. But overall, entertaining.

I don't know if I'll see Saws IV-XXXXXVVIIII, but I thought Saw III was pretty decent.

So wait, the guy had brain cancer?!? WTF?

2 comments:

Fear Street said...

I've only seen the first one all the way through. Just thinking about all the torture scenes to be found in the others kinda makes me ill. I can only stand so much evisceration!

I had no clue who Shawnee was until now...

Monster Bash Blog said...

Fear Street I agree!
I hate "realistic" torture scenes...I could barely have made it through Hostel. The more I think about it, the less I like these types of movies because of how real they are. I'll stick with Jason lol!